A Certified Technology Specialist ― Installation
A Certified Technology Specialist ― Installation (CTS-I) installs and maintains audiovisual systems by:
- Following specifications, schematics, codes and safety protocols;
- Administering installation process logistics;
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving systems;
- Maintaining tools and equipment; and
- Communicating with clients, designers, other trades, other installers and staff to provide the best audiovisual solutions for client needs, on time and within budget.
Steps to Prepare and Apply
- Read the CTS-I Candidate Handbook. It includes the exam application, eligibility requirements, and valuable testing information.
- Determine your eligibility using the Verifiers List for CTS-I Eligibility and Recognized Courses for CTS-I Eligibility. Eligibility for taking the CTS-I exam includes verification of experience in six AV installation skill areas: rack building, audio setup, projector setup and installation, rack mounting and customer relations.
- Self assess. This step is critical to your success. Carefully review the content outline in the CTS-I Candidate Handbook, as well as the CTS-I Exam Content Outline, paying attention to topic areas and their percentage of the exam, and the number of questions on the exam in each area.
- Submit your CTS-I Exam Application to the Certification Office by fax, mail or email.
- Once your application has been approved, you will schedule your exam appointment directly with a Pearson VUE testing center near you.
CTS-I Exam Updates in September 2018
Every five years, as part of our accreditation, all three CTS exams go through a review process by volunteer CTS holders, analyzing the exam content and relevance to job tasks. This results in modified exam content outlines for each exam so they remain valid and relevant to the industry.
In September, these content changes will go into effect.
Learn more about the exam revalidation process and content changes.
The following materials are provided to help individuals understand all certification program requirements and to direct them to resources that may be useful in preparing for each certification examination.
- CTS-I Candidate Handbook (Includes Application)
- CTS-I Exam Content Outline
- CTS-I Job Task Analysis
- Recognized Courses for CTS-I Eligibility
- Verifiers List for CTS-I Eligibility
- CTS-I Practice Exam
- CTS-I Exam Application
- CTS-I Exam Retest Application
- CTS-I Reinstatement Application
- CTS Code of Ethics and Conduct Agreement Form
- Scaled Scoring FAQ
- CTS Exam Request for Special Accommodation Form
- CTS Exam Documentation of Disability Needs Form
- Duplicate Certificate Order Form
- Certification Renewal Handbook
- CTS Renewal Application
- Certification Fee Schedule
Locate a Testing Center
Find a Pearson VUE Testing Center near you.
Certification is not a guarantee for performance by certified individuals. Certified Technology Specialist™ (CTS®) holders at all levels of certification have demonstrated audiovisual knowledge and/or skills. Certified individuals adhere to the CTS Code of Ethics and Conduct and maintain their status through continued education. Certification demonstrates commitment to professional growth in the audiovisual industry and is strongly supported by AVIXA.
All eligibility, application, score reports, special accommodation requests and general inquiries regarding AVIXA certification will be handled through the AVIXA Certification Office, with headquarters located in Fairfax, Va., U.S.A. Purchases of education, membership or any other AVIXA services are not required to seek certification.
Attn. Certification Office
11242 Waples Mill Rd., Suite 200
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 1.800.659.7469 or +1.703.273.7200
CTS Testing at IC18
Take your CTS, CTS-D or CTS-I exam at the show this year in Las Vegas. Testing is available June 4-8.
The Value of CTS in a Growing Market
It's coincidental, but symbolic, that the first two people to gain their CTS®-I and CTS-D qualifications in 2016 hail from India.
Save With Membership
Become an AVIXA member and save on your exam application fee.
CTS Pre-Paid Exam Cards
Pre-paid CTS cards are a great way to pay for a CTS exam and take it when you're ready. Purchase for yourself or your team!
Want a contract with the Federal Judiciary?
Better arm your team with CTS credentials. "For 20-plus years we've had contractors doing this work, but this is the first time we've said you have to have 10 years of AV work for courts. And your team installation lead must be CTS-certified...."
Claim Your Digital CTS Badge
We've partnered with Acclaim to help you communicate your CTS, CTS-D and CTS-I credentials.